Saturday, March 27, 2010

Glacier in early June

Hi everyone--



My husband loves Glacier and wants to return there in early June this year. I read the posts about the snow and the hiking trails. I have three questions:





1. What are the low and high temps at night and during the day?





2. Which lodges do you recommend for the best accomodations? We live in a hand hewn log cabin year round. While we don%26#39;t need to be in a cabin, we do want to stay in a very nice place (where I will be comfortable!).





3. I want to be able to get warm when I go back to my room. Do the rooms have heaters in most of the lodges and hotels?





Thanks for the info.



Warmly



Carol



Glacier in early June


I just read more of the recent postings. I can see that because GTTS road will likely not be open for travel, our trip will be different than it would be if we went a few weeks later. We are interested in staying at the Lodge in the Canadian portion of the Park. Any recommendations on how to see the park in 5 days or so, given that GTTS isn%26#39;t open, are appreciated!



We will not be hiking but I would like to take a boat ride and generally enjoy the park.



Regards,



Carol



Glacier in early June


At this time of year, you really don%26#39;t know if GTTS road will be open or not. At least part of it will, some from both ends. It isn%26#39;t a lot more time to circle around on highway 2 than it is to cross GTTS, so you could see as much as is open.




I think you mean the Prince of Wales hotel in Waterton. This hotel is scheduled to open June 7 so you need to call as soon as possible if you want reservations. If you want a cabin outside the park in the U.S. try www.vrbo.com. This may be the best choice for you as the hotels in the park are more historic and offer few amenities. The scenery and location are the main reasons for being in park. It could easily be in the 70%26#39;s during the day but will cool down to 40%26#39;s or maybe some 30%26#39;s at night.




More often than not, June is a very rough month in Glacier. Not often warm (though it can be0 more likely cool to cold, with wind and rain. GTTS could be open, this was an average snow year, but we won%26#39;t know for a while. A nice accomodation is the Great Bear Lodge in St. Mary. Newer and sometimes good early season rates.




Sorry, K2 but I have to speak out on the suggestion of Great Bear Lodge. It gets bad reviews lately and speaking from personal experience, I couldn%26#39;t recommend it to anyone. We have stayed there three times and two of those were less than great experiences. Last time for over 300 a night we could not even get a washcloth. When I complained about it, they told me to write it on my survey card, no offer of compensation or apology. The other time the bed had not been changed or the bath cleaned before our check in. When I called the desk, they came and removed the dirty towels from the bath and that was it. All of our stays were in the premium rooms and I don%26#39;t feel you get what you are paying for. The rooms could be great but the service and management are the biggest complaints posted.




Waterton would be worth a trip, the snow generally disappears there a little earlier (lower elevations). The Prince of Wales is the ';lodge'; in Waterton. I wouldn%26#39;t worry about reservations too far in advance - June is still pretty quiet in the park. The POW is not my first choice for lodgings in Waterton - there are other places with many more amenities for so much less money. But your call. In early June you would probably be okay to call a day or two ahead of time and you would be able to find a room in the park somewhere. If you absolutely have your heart set on one place, then you might want to reserve a couple of weeks in advance. Let me know if you want some other recommendations on lodging in Waterton. All places will be heated, many have fireplaces.





The boat ride at Waterton is way better than any of the boat rides that you can take on the GNP side of the park, IMHO.




Hey thanks for the good info. I would love to have your recommendations for anyplace to stay in or near Glacier. thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment