Saturday, March 27, 2010

Rental car companies out of Spokane that charge extra

Checking to see if anyone has done any research or ran into any issues with renting a car in Spokane and driving to Glacier National Park. I found (what I thought) was a good deal renting from Dollar Rent-a-Car in Spokane. I booked, then happened to read the fine print that said if you drive the car outside of WA, OR, or ID that it would be an additional $0.32/mile for the entire length of the rental! And if you drive it to Canada it is another $12/day! I re-booked at a slightly higher rate through Alamo, but couldn%26#39;t find any fine print stating those policies. I%26#39;m going to make sure to call them to double-check though. My plan was to re-book the car if any rates looked good between now and our departure date. But I%26#39;m concerned that other rental companies will have similar policies that aren%26#39;t stated well...then we get burned when we go to rent our car. Anybody have any advice?



Thanks



Rental car companies out of Spokane that charge extra


Found that to be true when we rented out of Denver last year. Really have to read the fine print.



Rental car companies out of Spokane that charge extra


We are also flying to Spokane and driving to Glacier this coming August. I was going through the same thing, originally booked with Thrifty on what I thought was good rate, then (like you) found out to go to Canada (which we really want to do to go to waterton) would be another $15 a day. Then I was going to go with Enterprise, but they do not allow their cars to go to Alberta. British Columbia is fine, but no Alberta, period.



Finally settled with Budget, whom I confirmed charges no extra fees for any states around that area and no additional fees to go to Canada (Alberta or otherwise). We are paying $241 for an 8 day rental with unlimited miles in an intermediate size car. I booked directly on their website.




Thanks for the feedback. I just booked with Avis. I still have to call them to confirm that we can drive to Montana and Canada, but I don%26#39;t see anything that says otherwise.




We%26#39;re also planning a trip to Glacier and have not yet made flight arrangements - looking at all options. How far is the drive frm Spokane to Glacier?




Looks to be about a 4 - 5 hour drive. But from what I have read, it is a pretty scenic drive. If you can fly into Kalispell, that would put you about 1/2 hour from the park. But it wasn%26#39;t worth the extra cost for us coming out of Saint Louis.




This may be a dumb question, but how would they know you are driving into Canada, unless you get in an accident?





I rented through Hotwire from the Kalispell airport. The only drawback is you have to prepay, and you do not know the rental company when you book, just that it is in the airport terminal. I saved about 150 dollars, plus we secured unlimited mileage.Turned out to be National, which had a fee of .25 per mile after a 700 miles on their direct website for the same vehicle. Since we plan to drive to Banff, that was not a good option.





I suggest anyone looking for unlimited mileage and a great price try Hotwire in addition to the company websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment