Monday, December 12, 2011

Garden Wall part of the Highline Trail... HELP!!!

OK guys....am I over reacting? This part of the highline trail looks a bit to close on the edge for me. My wife really, really wants to do this trail and I am not afraid of heights but can be a bit bothered by certain situations...this is one of them. How long is this cliff part of the trail? I think if I can just get past this part (from what pictures I%26#39;ve seen) I should be fine. We are planning on hiking to Granite Chalet and then down the Loop trail to get to our car. Are there any other really close to edge cliffs anywhere else on the trial? Or, is it smooth sailing after this cliffy part?





We are both beginning hikers but in great shape)and I am really looking forward to taking up this hobby. I%26#39;m buying all sorts of good equipment, shoes, etc.. so this is my break through to the world of back county hiking. Is this a good trail for beginners to go on? Also, wondering about the weather (in late July) if it%26#39;s going to be windy and cold near the top.





Any help or pictures or words of encouragement that can make me say ';I can do this'; will be wonderful.





Thanks



Garden Wall part of the Highline Trail... HELP!!!


You have some of the same concerns that I did before my recent trip in September. First of all, the Highline Trail is a MUST!!!!





I did eight different hikes including the most popular (Iceberg lake, Grinnell Glacier, Avalanche Lake, Hidden Lake, Scenic Point, Cracker Lake) and Highline is the best of the bunch in terms of scenic vistas. The good part about the rimrock (or garden hose) section of the Highline which you refer to is that it is right at the start of the hike.





You go no more than 1/4 mile from the trailhead fore you find yourself on a 2-3 foot wide trail about 300 feet directly above GTTS road. This section lasts for maybe 1/8 mile before you leave the ';sheer'; drop section. The rest of the hike doesn%26#39;t have any real feeling of exposure nor did any of the rest of the hike make me think twice.





I am not great with heights and am a flatlander living in Buffalo, New York so this type of exposure was brand new to me. It wasn%26#39;t as bad as I feared during the months I was planning the trip. That said, I was also glad when it was over. I%26#39;m planning on doing it again this year when I return.





I will attach a link to my rather lengthy trip report which includes the Highline.





glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php鈥?/a>



Garden Wall part of the Highline Trail... HELP!!!


Thanks for the information and the pictures are incredible. I am an avid photographer and can%26#39;t wait to take pictures myself. I know there will be some incredible shots on the highline trail...got to get to them first though.





We are from Florida but have been to many mountain ranges and on some great short hikes - nothing like the side of a cliff as is along the garden wall though. I guess I%26#39;ll have to suck it up and remember to breathe as I make my way past this section. The rest of the trail looks good and I see in your photos a few tight turns but those I can handle.




For anyone that has hiked the Hidden Canyon trail in Zion National Park....how does Highline Trail compare? The following link has photos of Hidden Canyon trail...http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/index24.htm





I haven%26#39;t done much hiking but I was on Hidden Canyon alone and thought to myself ';doing this alone is not really smart';.




I didn%26#39;t get to hike this trail though I would have liked to. When we go to the exposed part my wife said ';NO';. It did have a cable fastened to the inside edge to hold on to and I did see a lot of people hiking. I also watched a mountain goat on that portion and it didn%26#39;t seem to have any problem hiking right on the edge without hanging onto the cable. :^)





If the security of having the cable is enough to make you feel more comfortable, it should be easier than that trail shown in the pictures from Zion.




We did not hike the entire Highline Trail as the day we wanted to it was rainy. We hiked out about an hour and back. I have a pretty good fear of heights and this section made me a feel a little ';iffy'; but I went on and it was fine. I could not complete the hike at Hidden Canyon in Zion. I don%26#39;t think the two compare. If I remember right (Zion was about 5-6 years ago) Hidden Canyon has the chains you hold and it is very narrow. Highline was not this bad, basically a narrowing of the trail with some drop off, but much wider than the section of Hidden Canyon I remember.




This is the only section that is uncomfortable, and as noted, the cable is there. I have seen people walk this clinging to the wall and we have to pass them on the outside, which is ok. Once thru this section the trail is safe, mostly wide and the views great. Goats and sheep often visible. Once you master this section, and as you near granite park, you%26#39;ll be ready to climb up to the top of the ridge at the grinnell glacier overlook. Tough up section, big drop on the otherside, but many safe and comfortable places to look over and down.

No comments:

Post a Comment