Monday, December 12, 2011

Hidden Lake, Glinnell Lake and Redrock Lake hikes late July

We are arriving in Kalispell at 2:00 to pick up our car and go to Rising Sun Motor inn. I hope to be able to do the Hidden Lake hike that day on the way to our room. The next morning we will to to our Many Glacier room and I hope to take the Glinnell Lake boat hike and also the Redrock Lake hike. We are traveling with our kids who don%26#39;t like to hike. These are the best of the shortest hikes from what I can tell. If our kids bum out on us what hike would I cancel? If they have extra steam would the extra Glinell Glacier hike be too much. Also, How similar are these hikes? Take into consideration that we will be going to Jasper and Lake Louise a few days later.



Hidden Lake, Glinnell Lake and Redrock Lake hikes late July


Maybe you could just go to Hidden Lake Overlook, 3 miles roundtrip. That might be a good way to start with the kids, be forewarned this hike involves a lot of steps on a boardwalk, so don%26#39;t know how they will feel about that. RedRock is basically a flat 6-7 miles RT. You don%26#39;t need to hike the whole trail if you they don%26#39;t want to do it. I would stop at Fishercap Lake, about 1/4 to 1/2 mile down the trail to the left, lots of chances to see wildlife. If they feel like it you can go on to the falls, another 1 1/2 miles or so and then the lake. I would take the boat ride and then pick up the Grinnell Glacier trail. This will make it about 8 miles RT but it does have elevation gain. The views are great on the trail and the glacier might be something the kids enjoy. If I could only hike one of the above, my choice would be Grinnell, but I%26#39;m sure you will hear from others who would choose a different trail. I just think of the three mentioned, Grinnell offers a bigger variety of things to see. After re reading your post it seems you just want to hike from the boat to Grinnell Lake. This is a very short hike but I would try to get the kids to go on to the Glacier.



Hidden Lake, Glinnell Lake and Redrock Lake hikes late July


Of the three you mention, all are nice in their own way. There%26#39;s pictures on our website that try to show what they are like.





http://www.alandsuejohnson.com/glacier_np.htm





At the top, there%26#39;s buttons for Hidden Lake, Grinnell Glacier and Red Rock Falls. Grinnell is beautiful. All offer the possibility of seeing wildlife.





Fishercap Lake is nice in its own right but with some luck, you can see moose in there. We spent a whole day watching moose when we should have been hiking.





The hikes aren%26#39;t anything alike all 3 are different. I don%26#39;t think there%26#39;s a good way to predict the kids. They may (with any luck) see these trails as something much different than what they expected. The possibility of a bear may at some suspense they don%26#39;t normally get hiking too.




You have a long first day it sounds like and maybe the hidden lake (overlook) won%26#39;t be what everyone wants to do. However, it would be a good way to get some activity that day. This should be a great way to see mountain goats (don%26#39;t know if that would be an attraction to the kids or not).



It is tough, but next morning get up b 4 sunrise and drive the 1/2 mile to wild goose island overlook for a fantastic sunrise on the mountains.



Redrock is OK, but for the extra mile up to bullhead the chances of moose are very good.



Grinnel is nice and a good learning experience on global warming effects. Often bears are encountered along the route and sometimes moose.




Some thoughts:





Your first day. By the time you get the car, figure 2:30; park entrance, close to 3:30; vistor center where Hidden Lake hike begins, close to 5:00, depending upon construction. You%26#39;re looking at a long day. Definitely, only do the hike to the Hidden Lake viewpoint. To hike to the lake itself might be too long even if the kids liked hiking. The hike to the viewpoint is pretty easy with great views.





Next day: Don%26#39;t confuse the hike to Grinell Lake -- easy -- with the hike to Grinnell Glacier, moderately hard. If the kids don%26#39;t like hiking, I%26#39;d recommend the boat ride and the easy hike to the lake. The glacier hike has a good bit of uphill huffing and puffing. It%26#39;s a spectacular hike, but probably not for those who don%26#39;t like hiking.




I appreciate all the good advice. I like the idea that all the hikes are different and that there is wildlife opportunities in each. I think we would stop and enjoy the moose instead of hiking as well.





I think we will be okay with a hike the first day and if I%26#39;m right there should be plenty of sun if we reach Logan Pass by 5:00. But when does the shade start to settle in from the mountains? I would think that the Hidden lake 3 mile RT wouldn%26#39;t take very long.





I checked the sunrise for the dates that we would be there and it is at 5:40. I realize it starts earlier. I wouldn%26#39;t want to wake up to clouds but the idea of a sunrise or sunset sounds awesome. I know that I would be up for it and I do have a tendancy to suggest wild things like getting up early and find myself to be the only taker. I%26#39;m game even if they are not. Where would be an easy spot to go see the sunrise or sunset? Also, 4:00? That seems aweful early.




I like the idea of a sunrise or sunset but I suppose the sunrise would be best for where we will be. Sunrise for the time we will be there is at 5:45 (July 16th) correct?





Also, are there shorter hikes where we can check out moose? We will also be going to Banff and Jasper. I%26#39;ve seen a moose at Yellowstone. Awesome.




Fishercap lake is a pretty good bet to see moose. It is the same trail as Redrock Falls/Lake and is only 1/2 mile or so from Swiftcurrent.

No comments:

Post a Comment