Monday, December 12, 2011

Traveling with a Toddler: Itinerary suggestions

We are planning to travel from the Seattle area to Glacier this summer. Dates are up in the air. We have a 2-year-old, and my grandparents (70s but plenty mobile) may likely join us as well.





So, I%26#39;m looking for itinerary suggestions. I%26#39;m considering driving as far as Spokane or Coeur d%26#39;Alene in one day, then towards West Glacier the second day.





Beyond that? Don%26#39;t know. Looking for many short walks we could do. (Personally, I love a good eight-mile-or-so walk, but the 2-year-old isn%26#39;t up for that yet. Not even in a stroller). So, I%26#39;m looking for one-half to 2-mile hikes through various scenery.





Having a hard time deciding where to ';base';. The lodges look nice but it looks like most of them have noise issues. We%26#39;ll be more comfortable in a cabin-type of situation: a kitchenette where we can make mac-and-cheese on demand, without a train rumbling by every few hours all night. (Electricity good; TV, don%26#39;t care) But is there a good spot for this to visit most of the park, and Waterton? Or would we be better off staying a few nights on the west side, then a few nights on the east side, something like that?





I was thinking of September after Labor Day, hoping most people would have gone home to get their kids into school, but Labor Day happens pretty late this year, so maybe that%26#39;s not a good idea. Maybe late August is better? I loathe moquitoes and bees, and I%26#39;m told the mosquitoes are worst in July.





I%26#39;d LOVE to avoid crowds, but when I tried to visit in late June 2004, we were beaten back by snow, snow, and more snow. (And then a ton more snow on top of that). So, if that second full week in September is a good bet, I%26#39;m happy, but if it%26#39;s at all likely to be a blizzard, I%26#39;d be better off dealing with the crowds. I hope it%26#39;s not already too late to book.





Looking to spend about a week for the trip.





So, itinerary suggestions most welcome! Thanks!



Traveling with a Toddler: Itinerary suggestions


I think Sept. is a great time, we have visited often that time of year. If you are looking for a cabin, check www.vrbo.com. Near Babb, which is near Many Glacier, and a wonderful part of the park, many people have recommended Don%26#39;s Hideaway. I think I would consider staying near Babb, St. Mary area, where ever you can get a cabin. You might consider one night on the west side of the park just to enjoy Lake Mcdonald and then you could drive across the park and not have to rush back. Village Inn is on the shore of the lake and has family rooms with kitchenette. If you travel after Sept. 15 though, the road across the park will be closed for construction. You will be able to travel to Logan Pass from one side or the other, but not all the way across.



Traveling with a Toddler: Itinerary suggestions


Also forgot to mention, the east side of the park will provide you closer access to Waterton, about an hours drive from the Babb area.

No comments:

Post a Comment