Monday, December 12, 2011

To TNsoccer07

Howdy,



You aren%26#39;t too hard to track down:-) Hanging out in your favorite park I see.



Well, I just had to tell you, my son was looking to get out of town for the summer, leaning toward working for a cruise ship or...he didn%26#39;t know.



Remembering my summer in Shenandoah I suggested a national park. He wasn%26#39;t too pysched about Grand canyon or Yellowstone, they were too close. So thinking about your great trip reports and knowing myself how beautiful it is in Glacier I suggested it. And what do you know he got a job--I think it is the lowest of the low in the Many Glacier location, but he%26#39;s okay with it.



Anyway, we may have to take a trip up there this summer to visit him. I%26#39;m re-reading all your reports and marveling again at how much you did and your ability to put us right there with your word pictures as well as your beautiful photos.



We found the photo album with our pictures from our last visit- a very rainy August in 1982 (gasp). The rain didn%26#39;t stop us, we just put on our ponchos and kept hiking. I had more pictures than I remembered in that pre digital age.



We never even knew Many Glacier or Two Medicine existed so this will be all new territory for us. I expect we%26#39;ll be camping at Many Glacier.



Anyway, just wanted to let you know you affected the direction our lives will take this summer as Glacier wasn%26#39;t even on the map a month ago :-)



Take Care.



To TNsoccer07


kbecjeans----watch out or he may get hooked on national parks. The summer I worked in Denali (I will not admit how long ago that was, but the hint is that it was not called Denali then) many of the staff came from Many Glacier---they had worked there the previous summer.





I remember their stories but it took me until 2008 to actually go and see the place. So beautiful! And now we are booked to return this summer. (I%26#39;ll check up on your son if you like).





Don%26#39;t worry about the job being ';the lowest of the low';. I put in my time as a maid cleaning rooms at Yosemite Lodge in Yosemite Valley---back when employees could actually live in the valley. National park work is all about the location and the off work time opportunities.





He will have a good summer.



To TNsoccer07


Hey KJ! Yep, if you can%26#39;t find me elsewhere, it%26#39;s a pretty good bet you%26#39;ll find me hanging out on the Glacier forums. : ) However, I%26#39;m pretty sure I%26#39;ll be headed to the southwest this summer with my family...spending a week in Flagstaff. I still have to see what I%26#39;m doing this summer to make sure I can make it, but if I do, I%26#39;ll be out in late May/early June.





I%26#39;m very glad to hear that your son grabbed a job in Glacier, especially Many Glacier. That will be unbelievable! I cannot imagine spending an entire summer working out of Many Glacier. That%26#39;s exactly where I%26#39;ll hope to get a job next summer...either Many Glacier or St. Mary anyway. I think venturing out there for a summer would be an amazing, reflective journey, and I am excited for my own possible summer out there in 2010.





I am humbled, too, that my posts/reports/pictures affected you and your family%26#39;s immediate future. I hope to continue aiding people in this regard as I continue traveling and especially hiking. It%26#39;s been a bit difficult lately trying to figure out what my future will look like. That%26#39;s exactly why I think a summer in Glacier would be incredible and why I%26#39;m so excited for that.







Anyway, I%26#39;m also very excited that you will also be taking time out to visit him and the park this summer. I am certain you will find it better than in 1982...it sounds like the weather just did not cooperate at all. And Many Glacier and Two Medicine will be a new trip for you too...those are two very beautiful areas of the park. Camping in Many Glacier is also a great idea...what a great location!





Thanks so much for the message. I really appreciate hearing about what you have planned for the summer! Keep in touch %26amp; let me know if I can help you in any way in planning for your trip...although by then I bet your son will be an expert! : )





Sean




Enzian,,, I would have no trouble with him getting hooked on National Parks. I wish now I had done more of it myself. Fun to hear you had that experience as well ! It is interesting to read of all the people planning to travel up to Glacier this year. When are you planning on going?





Sean, I didn%26#39;t even notice you had the destination expert moniker! But well deserved. Maybe my son will enjoy it enough to go again next summer and run into you :-)



So are you planning on hiking the Grand Canyon this year? You really need to if you haven%26#39;t already. Totally different than Glacier for sure :-)



Good to know you are still around. Take care. I%26#39;ll be reading this forum for all the info we%26#39;ll need for sure.




KJ: Thank you...I got the title around Christmas time, so it was a nice gift. : ) I will be excited for my prospective summer job next year because I will not only be having the time of my life out there, but there are plenty of people I%26#39;ve talked to online that I%26#39;m sure I%26#39;ll meet in person. I%26#39;ll just have to keep praying to make sure this is the path I should take next summer.





As of right now, I do not think I%26#39;ll be actually hiking to the Colorado this summer. I would absolutely love to though! We definitely won%26#39;t be staying at Phantom Ranch, but I guess there%26#39;s a slight possibility we may backpack down there. My older brother and his girlfriend are coming with my parents, younger brother, and myself %26amp; she has never been to Arizona, so I doubt we%26#39;ll do anything too serious. One of these years... : )





Do you know yet when or for how long you will be visiting Glacier this summer?




I would have no problems with suggesting you and your brothers hiking to the river and back in one day, not with what you did last year. There are not very many people capable of doing it, but I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;d be some of them. But you have others to consider as well. And you%26#39;d have to have time to train ahead of time.





When we would come is still all so tentative. We may end up driving him up there the end of May, but that would just be an up and back trip. I%26#39;m looking at the end of July for a week long trip and I%26#39;m always greedy, trying to include a drive through Yellowstone as well. Our new daughter-in-law would finish classes the 24th of July and I was hoping she and our son could join us for the trip. But I really haven%26#39;t talked to anyone about it yet, so if they don%26#39;t come we really have all summer to look at. We have plans for June and early september, so July/Aug look the best.





One thing I have wondered about is the bugs. I imagine July/Aug would be high season for mosquitos. They might be a problem if we camped...any thoughts on that:?

No comments:

Post a Comment