Thursday, April 8, 2010

Any advice for a poor travelor?

I am from the States and live in Malaysia. I am traveling to N. Idaho this August for a meeting and considering going to the Glacier National Park for a few days. I have never been to that part of the world (I am sure it is quite different than my native Louisiana and Borneo), and would love to visit.



Does anyone have any advice on where I could stay (cheaply), how much it costs to rent a car, and what I should do if I have about 5 days. I love hiking and fishing and just being outside. My budget is limited but I want to really experience the park. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.



Any advice for a poor travelor?


I%26#39;ve been checking prices for all the surronding ares and if you don%26#39;t want to camp, it%26#39;s pretty expensive. The best deals inside the park were cabins at Swiftcurrent at $80. Visit Glacier Park Inc. for lodging inside the park.



Outside the park, most places are arond $150 or more. I found some places in East Glacier Park that rented out rooms for around $50.



I looked at Kalispell to find cheaper options and the are some places there for less than $100. I%26#39;ve read that this is about 45 min. from the W. entrance.



I%26#39;m in the process of planning my first trip to Glacier as well and have probably looked at every place to stay in the area that%26#39;s on the net. There are lots of options you just have to find them. Good luck!



Any advice for a poor travelor?


There is a hostel in East Glacier, but I don%26#39;t remember the name of it. I can see it in my mind....





I found this link with a google search:





hihostels.com/dba/hostels-HI---East-Glacier-鈥?/a>





And this one, which is the place I was thinking of:





hostelbookers.com/hostels/鈥?/a>





This one lists its rate for a private room at $28.30 per night.





I have not stayed at either of these places so I can%26#39;t comment on their quality.





- CG




Rock-bottom budget way would be to camp. There are several campgrounds in the park; you could do 3 nights at one and 2 at another to see the whole park.





You can rent camping gear (tent and sleeping bag with pad) at REI in Spokane:





http://www.rei.com/stores/24





Add a campstove and buy a cooking pot (maybe at a second-hand store) and you can save money on meals too.





Two of the campgrounds are on the reservations system, and the rest are first-come, first served. The camping fee is $20 per night ($23 for the reserved ones)





I checked one company for car rental rates. Enterprise has an office in Coeur d%26#39;Alene; you can rent an economy car there for 5 days in August for $232.




Rock-bottom budget way would be to camp. There are several campgrounds in the park; you could do 3 nights at one and 2 at another to see the whole park.





You can rent camping gear (tent and sleeping bag with pad) at REI in Spokane:





http://www.rei.com/stores/24





Add a campstove and buy a cooking pot (maybe at a second-hand store) and you can save money on meals too.





Two of the campgrounds are on the reservations system, and the rest are first-come, first served. The camping fee is $20 per night ($23 for the reserved ones)





I checked one company for car rental rates. Enterprise has an office in Coeur d%26#39;Alene; you can rent an economy car there for 5 days in August for $232.




Sorry about the double post. . .




A clean, quiet, reasonably priced motel in East Glacier that I highly recommend is the Motel Pine motel (it was around $60/night when I was there in early September). The owners were extremely nice and vety helpful as well. It is near the Two Medicine section of the park where there is a beautiful lake and good hiking/fishing.




Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice. I am really looking forward to this trip and I am saving my money now. This forum has really helped me prepare for a great vacation.






Brownies Hostel in East Glacier is a wonderful,inexpensive place to stay--I know --I stayed there last summer for 3 weeks and loved it so much will be back there this summer for 2 weeks. You can chose a bunk room which I think is about $14 per night or a private room which is approx. $21 per night. If you come by train they will pick you up at the station. Brownies is a member of Hostel International. I did write a review and you might want to check it out.





You won%26#39;t be sorry you stayed here and it is very close to Two Medicine. There is a car rental place across the street.




Some really good advice here! Brownies is really nice for what you pay and they have great food. The ambience in East Glacier is fantastic. The Two Medicine area and East Glacier relaly have an outstanding transport system. There are shuttles from Brownies to the trailehads at Two Medicine that are very cheap, and it%26#39;s very inexpensive to stay there. Also, as someone suggested you can rent some camping gear from REI. However, make sure your sleeping bag is warm enough and you get a pad that is not self inflating. Glacier can get COLD in August. I recommend a bag rated for at least 20 degrees, and preferrably down.





Apgar is anice campground for the west side, although quite busy in August. There are not as many trails from the campgorund there, so Avalanche might bea better option for you. You can check out the campgrounds here:





parkcamper.com/Glacier-National-Park/Glacier鈥?/a>





As for fishing, the best spots are the lakes in the park and the North Fork of the Flathead on the west side of the park. Two Medicine has very good shorefishing at dawn and dusk with flies. Most of the backcountry lakes have good fishing. Apgar campground is close to the Northfork of the Flathead.

No comments:

Post a Comment