Thursday, April 1, 2010

To see Many Glacier area where would you stay?

Hi, am interested in a day or two of light hiking in Many Glacier area and availability I can find is either Glacier Park Lodge or Rising Sun Motel. Neither gets great reviews and Rising Sun looks closest to the area. Anyone have experience with either place and which is a better location?





Thanks and will also check out the GP chat as well.



To see Many Glacier area where would you stay?


I%26#39;d stay at St. Mary and just not stay in the park. We stayed at Swiftcurrent and loved it. If that isn%26#39;t an option, then St. Mary might be a reasonable alternative.





Reviews of lodges in Glacier (maybe other parks too) is curious. I think it depends on your expectations. You paying to be where you want to be more than for a luxurious room. Not everyone likes Swiftcurrent but I%26#39;d schedule a trip around its availability.





To me Glacier Park Lodge isn%26#39;t an option. Too far away. Rising Sun didn%26#39;t seem that bad from what I saw from the outside. It isn%26#39;t all that far from St. Mary either.



To see Many Glacier area where would you stay?


I would stay in the campground. The best place to stat in the park is your own tent. :-) If you are looking for lodging other than that, there are two possibilities in the Many Glacier area. The Swiftcurrent Inn and Many Glacier Lodge would be the only possibilities in the Many Glacier Area. The Rising Sun Inn is on the Going to the Sun Road. To get from the Rising Sun Inn to Many Glacier Area, you are going to leave the park drive through the town of St Mary and Babb and then reenter the park. Lodgings in the towns of St Marry or Babb would be closer than either the Glacier Park Lodge or Rising Sun Motel. I have stayed in the Red Eagle Motel in St Mary and the place was very basic but a nice view and reasonably priced for the area. I think I have read decent reviews of the Glacier Trailhead Cabins but have no personal experience. I found the Montana Travel Website is a good one to look at the lodging listing by town if you are looking for lodging outside the park. http://travel.state.mt.us Anything in St Mary or Babb will be closer than Rising Sun. Anything in the East Glacier area will be about the same distance as the Glacier Park Lodge.




google St. Mary, Montana and you will find some other options including some nice cabins 3-miles out of St. Mary towards Babb, and Johnson motel.




I agree with St Mary. Short drive to Many Glacier area and the Two Medicine area. We stayed at Great Bear Lodge in 2004 and plan to return there next summer.




I have been to Glacier many times and I find the Many Glacier area the best place to be over all. I agree with the previous post that the campground is great. All of the sites are wooded and the hiking oportunities are endless. There are small cabins available in connection with the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn as well as normal hotel like rooms but reservations need to be made well in advance. I have always camped at Many Glacier so I have no first hand knowledge of the rooms, but the hotel lobby and the campstore have most of the basic things you will need. Bring your binoculars and camera and have a good time.






webanhgiadinh.googlepages.com

No comments:

Post a Comment