Thursday, April 1, 2010

Horseback riding at GNP

My two boys (age 7 and 12) and I want to go back horseback riding while we%26#39;re at GNP in June. We%26#39;ll be on the East side of the park during the time we want to do this (staying at St. Mary). Swann Outfitters has a minimum age of 8 for riders, but Glacier Park Lodge has a 2 hour ride that takes 7 year olds.





Anyone familiar with this operation and their rides? We had a semi-bad experience in Monument Valley a couple of years ago (not professional; very scary climb for non-riders) and I don%26#39;t want a repeat.





Any other suggestions for places I can check for rides?



Horseback riding at GNP


I am only aware of the rides out of Many Glacier (20 mi. from st. mary) Hotel on the east side. They have a few options, a couple of which are pretty near flat and short and one that is much more scenic and longer to cracker lake. I have never riden with them and can%26#39;t advise as to their comfort and safety.



Horseback riding at GNP


If you are on the east side then a ride from there would work best. (Swan does take 7 year olds on their rides on the west side; I suspect they don%26#39;t on the rides at Many Glacier because they are longer and/or the terrain more diffficult).





The rides offered by GPL appear to be just outside the park, with an outfitter they have selected. I think you can expect the outfitter to be reliable and professional.





The Monument Valley rides would be a tribal or individual enterprise, not regulated by the NPS, and different standards apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment