Thursday, April 1, 2010

Great Falls to Rising Sun - through Shelby?

We%26#39;ll be first timers in Montana in June and we are traveling through Great Falls to Rising Sun.





AAA trip tik tells me to go through Shelby but I%26#39;m wondering if taking 89 is just as good and maybe even a quicker route?



Great Falls to Rising Sun - through Shelby?


Going through Shelby will probably be quicker because there won%26#39;t be any traffic lights or stop signs but if you can deal with them, I think 89 would be a nice alternative. Microsoft Streets and Trips estimates that highway 89 would add almost 5 minutes to your trip. Can you afford that much extra time on your vacation to see what that part of Montana is like? I%26#39;m pretty sure I could.



Great Falls to Rising Sun - through Shelby?


Here%26#39;s the route I took in both 2005 and 2007: From Great Falls, north on I-15 then west on Montana 44 through Valier. 44 junctions with US 89. Take 89 north into Browning. In Browning, head north on local/reservation road 464. (When 89 curves to the left in Browning, go STRAIGHT instead on 464.) 464 has fewer curves than 89 from Browning to St. Mary and is ';much faster'; according to some helpful locals in St. Mary. When 464 ends at 89, turn left (south) for a drive of a few miles to the St. Mary entrance and then to Rising Sun.



Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment