Thursday, April 1, 2010

Best stops, most scenic route from W, Yellowstone to I-90

We have just one day to travel by car from Yellowstone to West Glacier and want to see as much of Montana%26#39;s beautiful scenery as possible. We%26#39;ve planned to make short stops along the way and hopefully have a picnic lunch. Suggestions are MUCH APPRECIATED!





From Yellowstone to I-90, there appears to be three possible routes we identified so far:





*North Entrance of Yellowstone through Paradise Valley / Yellowstone River to I-90 in Livingston





*West Entrance of Yellowstone via US Hwy 191 along the Gallatin to I-90/Belgrade





*West Entrance of Yellowstone via US Hwy 287 to I-90/near Whitehall - with a possible side trip to a ghost town - Virginia City, Nevada City, or Pony - and possibly a dip in Norris Hot Springs.







Possible stops along I-90:





*Boseman- Museum of the Rockies highlights, Three



Forks (I-90 at Livingston)





*Butte - Berkeley Pit (just to quickly ponder)





*Deer Lodge - Grant -Kohrs Ranch National Historic



Site





*Missoula - ? and stocking up on provisions while in



Glacier







From I-90 northward to West Glacier:





*US Hwy 93



or



*State Highway 200 to 93 through Swan Valley? I haven%26#39;t calculated the distance, but just looking at the map, it appears a longer route. Plus, I%26#39;ve read about lots of deer/wildlife on this road How much more travel time should I add if we decide on this route verses Hwy 93?











From US Hwy 93, which is the most scenic Flathead Lake route to take?







*Continue on 93 or







*Take State Hwy 35?



Best stops, most scenic route from W, Yellowstone to I-90


I would definately take the West Yellowstone route up 191 through the Canyon to Belgrade/Bozeman. The canyon is absolutely beautiful!





Hwy 287 is nice and shows a variety of landscapes but a lot of the way is flat and kind of boring. However, Virginia/Nevada City is pretty cool and if you do go that route...make sure and stop at the Candy Store!





As for stopping at Butte...I wouldn%26#39;t bother. The traffic is horrible there and the pit is ugly. The 90ft statue of the Virgin Mary along the Divide is pretty though, especially at night.





If going by Anaconda, MT (around Deer Lodge) you could stop and picnic at Lost Creek State Park at the waterfall there. Very beautiful!





Northwestern Montana is all very scenic, the entire way :)





Have fun on your trip!



Best stops, most scenic route from W, Yellowstone to I-90


Thanks for that advice. I will change our route also to follow your suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment